Party Wall Etc. Act 1996 Advice

Jones Melling Limited has particular experience in party wall matters arising under the Party Wall Etc Act 1996 and can act as Party Wall Surveyors on behalf of either the building owner or the adjoining owner.

Avoiding Party Wall Disputes and Problems

If you are a building owner planning work which may fall under the Party Wall Etc Act, or are an adjoining building owner and have been affected by Party Wall issues, then Jones Melling Limited can help. We offer a bespoke professional and personal service to residential and commercial occupiers and owners affected by party wall matters.

The Party Wall Etc Act 1996

If you intend to carry out building work which involves one of the following categories, then you must find out whether that work falls within the Party Wall etc. Act.

  • Work on an existing wall or structure shared with another property;
  • Building a free standing wall or a wall of a building up to or astride the boundary with a neighbouring property; or
  • Excavating near a neighbouring building.

If the work does fall into one of the above categories then this is where Jones Melling Limited can help protect your position as if you do not correctly notify all affected neighbours you run the risk of legal action being taken against you. Conversely Jones Melling Limited can help if you have received a notification as you must respond correctly to avoid prejudicing your position.